Wednesday, August 12, 2009

If God Left Me One Album...


I remember it like it was yesterday. It was 2004 and I was a senior at Tartan High School. My music provider and friend Kyle handed me a CD and told me, "This is going to change the game." He could not have been more right. The CD was The College Dropout; Kanye West's classic debut album. The album patented the sped-up soul sample, which has since become played-out, and had Kanye, "Take Freeway throw him on tracks with Mos Def." In other words, Kanye West started doing things hip-hop had never seen or heard. He also had an all-star lineup consisting of Jay-Z, Talib Kweli, Common, Mos Def, Freeway, Syleena Johnson, Consequence, GLC, Twista, Jamie Foxx and Ludacris...Damn. Not to mention Kanye produced the entire album and had Jigga Man spit two of the best verses of his life on "Never Let Me Down." Hell, even my sister likes this album. From top to bottom, no album I have ever heard is more complete. If you haven't heard it, listen to it. If you have heard it, listen to it again. If you love this album, you have my respect. Here's to the ROC...

No comments:

Post a Comment